While turron is available all during the year it is a treat that everyone
eats during the Christmas season. There are many different kinds of turron made of
many different items. Examples of different kinds of turron are Turron de Almendra
(almond), Turron de Cacauete (Peanut) and Turron de Avellana (roasted hazelnut). The
two most famous kinds of Turron come from Alicante and Jijona.
de yema" Egg yolk nougat
- 300 grams ground almonds
- 300 grams icing sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- grated rind of lemon
- grated cinamon
- Mix the ground almonds with the egg yolks
- Make a syrup with the icing sugar and add the cinamon and lemon rind
- leave to cook until it begins to turn brown.
- Add the almond paste and cook slowly stirring all the time.
- When it thickens nicely and does not stick press into a rectangular mould and leave to
- You can tip it out of mould after a couple of days.
de Alicante" (hard nougat)
- 1 kilo Rosemary Honey
- 500 gms sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1,500 gms almonds, heated up in oven
- 1 lemon
- Slowly heat the honey in a saucepan until all the water that it contains has evaporated.
- Add the sugar and mix with a wooden spatula
- Beat the egg white until stiff and then add to the mixture.
- Stir briskly with the spatula for eight to ten minutes then stir slowly over a low flame
until it begins to caramelise (turn brown)
- Put the hot almonds into the honey mixture with the rind of the lemon
- Mix well and let cook slowly for a few minutes taking care it does not stick
- The mixture is then poured into wooden moulds lined with rice paper
After two and a half hours, the turron is cut. When it is completely cold, the slices
are stored in an airtight container
"Turron de Jijona"
- 1 dessertspoon cinnamon
- 250 gms sugar
- 250 grams white honey
- 250 grams toasted almonds
- 250 grams toasted hazelnuts
- 5 egg whites
- Chop the nuts finely and then crush them in the mortar until they become a smooth paste
- Beat the eggs whites stiffly and then add them to the paste
- Put the honey and sugar in a saucepan and bring to the boil
- Add the paste to the honey mixture
- Mix constantly with a wooden spatula for ten minutes
- Remove from the heat, put into wooden moulds lined with rice paper
- Leave to cool and then sprinkle with cinnamon
Return to Christmas in Spain